Welcome

Welcome to ASDEC Multisensory Math Online. This is where you can connect with your instructor and other class participants. You may submit questions to the instructor by email and they may be answered on the blog for all participants to follow. I sincerely hope you enjoy the class.

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Post # 12 The Mental Number Line


Some children have a great deal of trouble forming and using a mental number line.  Unless the whole body is used to experience magnitude changes, these children may have problems using the number line to solve problems and represent the relationships between numbers.  

I was working with two rising 5th graders recently.  We were working on fraction and decimal concepts.  For these two children the key was to experience the math concepts using multiple representations.  We constructed fraction problems with our rainbow fraction tiles.  We used pattern blocks to illustrate fraction operations.  We colored shapes to solve fraction problems and finally we used the number line.  Still, one of the children who has spatial deficits had to work at placing his fractions on the number line.  Lots of practice.  The use of alternative support strategies.  And then, more practice at large motor levels and at fine motor levels.  





2 comments:

  1. This visual representation of multiplying fraction was very helpful to me. I have limited experience drawing pictures at this level. When I see the problem drawn out it makes perfect sense to me. However, I am going to need practice generating the picture from a problem on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had many children who really struggle with the concept of the number line. I love that this course recommends using a number line frequently. One activity that has been really successful in my class is to hand out index cards with different numbers (fractions, decimals) and have the students place them in order as a number line.

    ReplyDelete

Only current participants in this class should post comments and questions.